2007-04-24

Premonitions

A few weeks back I commented on Samantha's blog about Google becoming a place to save data you want to find again, things like web pages you've visited. Imagine my surprise when I see this show up in my Google Reader feed for Google's blog: Google Launches Web History. Guess that was just my little bit of premonition.

Wouldn't be the first time either.

Back in April of 2006 I posted about Google's Calendar Release and how they weren't too far away from replacing Microsoft Outlook in many places with their combination of mail & calendaring. I envisioned an appliance one could put on their network that would run a local version of Gmail & Google Calendar so that companies could keep their own data. Well, they haven't done that, but with the release of the Google Apps Premier edition, apart from being master of your own data, they've got the calendar/mail goodness I spoke of, with the added bonus of Google Docs & Google Spreadsheets. I don't see lots of large businesses jumping on this, but after looking at Google's FAQ entry on Security, Privacy & Compliance, it looks like this would be a very viable option for quite a few small businesses, giving them the ability to ditch Microsoft Office/Exchange and save money at the same time.

--JOsh

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Unfortunately, you have to have the Google toolbar to allow them to save your web history, otherwise I would be all over it.

Cool idea either way.

With the Better Gmail extension, you can now save your gmail searches as well. All hail our new Google overlords.

10:24 PM, April 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home