2007-04-24

Mmmm... Barbeque

Ok, since Melissa was busy tonight with something for Walk America, I was on my own for dinner. Hy-Vee Chinese sounded really good. As I was turning into the parking lot to Hy-Vee over on Edgewood Rd, I noticed a few cars in the drive-thru of the new Barbeque place over here, Dickey's. Their parking lot was pretty full so I had to check it out. I knew they had a late April opening date, but could it have possibly been today? Sure enough, it was today.

They've got a pretty basic menu. You can choose to get either a sandwich, or a plate of meat. I opted for the plate of meat, with 2 meats. I wanted pulled pork and beef brisket, but they were out of the pork, so I ended up getting the smoked turkey breast instead. Au Gratin potatoes and fried okra rounded out my sides, with cornbread chosen over the dinner roll.

It was pretty busy when I came in, so I was lucky to find an open seat. I ordered at 7:05 and my food was out by ~7:25. This was a little long in my opinion, especially for someplace whose slogan is Slow Cooked, Served Fast, but I'll cut them slack since it was their first night open & they're probably going through some growing pains.

The brisket was pretty good, not quite as good as Famous Dave's, but I'd say better than BBQ This. The smoked turkey was delicious. It was nice and tender, with a really good smoke flavor to it. Their bbq sauce is served warm, with your choice of hot or regular flavor. I got a little of both. The hot wasn't too hot, and the regular was pretty good too. It's a little runny to use as a dipping sauce, as I tend to do with the meats. It also had more of a vinegar-y flavor to it, opposed to a sweeter flavor of say, Famous Daves. I thought the au gratin potatoes were ok, nothing spectacular. The fried okra was good, but a little too greasy, even for something that's traditionally fried. I was rather disappointed with the corn bread. Maybe I've been spoiled by the corn bread from places like Famous Daves, BBQ This, or even Jimmy Jakes in Iowa City, but it was dry with none of the hint of sweetness that I'm used to. Even boxed Jiffy corn bread has better taste better than this did. After dinner, they offer free ice cream, either as a cone or a small dish. A small twist cone finished me off.

Despite sounding like I didn't like much of dinner, I'd say that overall it was good, and I'll definitely be going back. They've got 8 different meats to choose from, and 17 different sides, so I've got quite a few different combinations to try till I find something that's just right.

--JOsh

PS. The car that was parked next to me had not one, but two open Busch Light cans stacked on top of each other in the cup holder in the center console. Talk about redneck... LOL

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home